Moving Supplies List for 2021 and Beyond
There are a few critical questions you should ask yourself before you self-pack. How many boxes do I need to move? What kind of boxes will I need? How many delicate items will I need to pack up? The number of questions you need answers to before moving can be overwhelming.
Keep in mind that Gold Standard Moving can put your mind at ease with our packing and unpacking services. We offer partial and full packing services to help make moving day an easy process.
If you decide to self-pack while moving, we have a full moving supplies checklist for you to use along the way. Follow this list and you’re sure to have a smooth move.
How Many Boxes Do I Need To Move?
One of the first questions you need to ask yourself prior to moving is, how many boxes do I need to move? The answer is different for everyone depending on how many items a person wants to move, how many heavy or light items a person is moving, and how many items a person plans on getting rid of.
Every home will need a separate amount of boxes, but on average, a one-bedroom house will likely need anywhere from 10-45 boxes to keep everything organized and secure. This number may be smaller depending on the size of the house or if you live in an apartment. Figuring out how many boxes you need for your move before you start packing up will save you time and prevent you from scrambling for more boxes later on.
How Many Items Do I Need To Move?
Individuals with a large house will likely have more belongings than those living in a studio. However, regardless of the size of your place, it’s better to have more boxes than run out.
If you plan on selling or donating belongings before your move, you’ll have fewer items to move. This is important to keep in mind for those who are moving to a smaller home. Start decluttering your home at least two months before to accurately know how many boxes you’ll need to get moving. Craigslist, local Facebook groups, and garage sales are all ideas you can use to sell the items you won’t be packing up
What Kind of Boxes Do I Need?
It’s tempting to throw everything into an X-large box and call it a day, but please don’t do that for your belonging’s sake. While throwing all your items into a large box may take little time, you’ll likely end up breaking many of the items in the box, thus forcing you to have to replace them. Instead, opt for a mix of different size boxes.
The types of boxes you’ll need will likely be:
- X-large boxes – These boxes are great for light, bulky items like comforters and clothing. Save yourself some time packing and unpacking by buying a wardrobe box. These are perfect for items you have hanging up, thus making it easier to transfer items from wardrobe to box.
- Large boxes – Large boxes are ideal for bulky items that aren’t as large as comforters. Think pillows, small rugs, purses, and other items that don’t need to be securely fastened into place.
- Medium boxes – Medium boxes are perfect for most items. We recommend buying a box kit that can secure dishes and other delicate items during your move.
- Small boxes – These are best for small bulky items, such as books. While small, heavy items can be stored in medium boxes, it will be much easier to carry them if you portion them out into smaller boxes.
Other Items To Put On a Moving Supplies List
Boxes are quite important to buy before packing up. But other moving supplies should definitely be on your moving supplies checklist. Remember, it’s better to over-prepare than under-prepare. Plus, you can always return items back that you don’t end up using.
Other items to have before packing up include:
- Different types of tapes – Shipping tape, duct tape, and masking tape
- A tape dispenser
- Materials to put in boxes to protect your belongs – Foam peanuts, bubble wrap, wrapping paper (preferably unprinted), newspaper, blankets, furniture pads, and foam inserts
- Material to protect the house while moving items – Tarps and sheets
- Box cutters
- Cling wrap – Perfect to wrap around jewelry stands to keep necklaces from getting tangled
- Markers – To label boxes for each room
- Tools for disassembling furniture
- Bags to keep small items in that will easily get lost
Choose Movers You Can Trust
Not every mover deeply cares about giving their clients the experience that they deserve. Gold Standard Moving is fully insured to move your items throughout the state of Florida. But we offer much more than licensed services, we offer a relaxing experience that only industry leaders like us understand.
We know it can be a bit scary to trust strangers with all the possessions you hold dear. That’s why we’re here to answer any questions that you have about what a local or long-distance move with us will look like until you feel comfortable with the entire moving process.
We’ll walk you through what to expect when moving with us. We’ll also walk you through every step of what your move will take. That way stressing out isn’t a possibility.
Skip The Moving Supplies Checklist and Go With Trusted Professionals
Let’s face it: no one is thrilled to pack up their entire home. That is no one except the professional movers at Gold Standard Moving. It can take you days to weeks to pack up all your belongings and even more to unpack them. That’s why we here at Gold Standard Moving offer unpacking and packing services. We can have an entire house moved in and out completely within hours. So, contact us today!